There is more hunger for love and appreciation in this world than for bread.
Mother Teresa
I started thinking about what I would say as my PTA a due….I started by thinking I would tell you about my garden and the battle I have been having with my nut grass. I was looking for an American Life moment to touch each of you. Then I thought about breaking into a song, perhaps I could even deliver a comical monologue.
After reflecting on all my options, I thought these best saved for another time.
This past Sunday was Mother’s Day. I would wager that each of your children brought home a unique gift from school. . Last week was also Teacher Appreciation week, when each classroom smelled like a flower shop. With these two events fresh in my mind I decided that the “A” in PTA should stand for appreciation. It is amazing what transpires when people feel appreciated. It melts walls. It turns negative to positive. I appreciate each moment we have with these children of ours. My child, your child it doesn’t matter, I appreciate them all. I appreciate the opportunity I have had to be of service. I also appreciate every one of you. The more one appreciates and focuses on the positive the more it breeds continued success. I think we have begun to tap into this within our community. It must be fostered daily.
Each of us has our own lives. Yet we all are connected. We are all on this journey of being Parents with children going to school together. How we all came to this school everyone of us would have a different story. A powerful story and a powerful reason you trusted your treasures on this campus. I think about my own story of how we came here and why we have stayed. The fact that teachers, administration and parents can come together in a safe place to air our concerns, our hopes, our visions and bring about change that is conducted in a fair and time tested manner, is part of the reason we are still here. That is what your PTA does. We have such an amazing opportunity at every turn to be heard and help create lasting programs for the future students of LFCSA.
We have tackled quite a number of hot topics. I think the main lesson I will take away from this year, is the PTA is the right thing for this school. The founders of this school had such amazing vision to get this off the ground. I appreciate each of them. We have the same responsibility. Working together we can do anything! If you know you can be heard and your voice matters then this is the place for you. Together we can keep this school moving forward and keep it going. It is going to take a lot of hard work on our part. We have to be willing to keep giving as much as we can. We are so fortunate to have the basics, that in my opinion all schools should have, but unfortunately they do not. They don’t have art programs, drama programs, they don’t have PE programs, and they don’t have dance programs unless it is done after school. We all should know that. We all should appreciate these as well. We are asked to help run a school that relies heavily on their volunteers. I am more than happy to lend my shoulder to this work. As are most of you that are here and that continually just keep on keeping on!
It would be great if someone has a crystal ball and tell us what lies ahead for the future of our school. Guess what! I have one. The answer to that question is, our willingness as parents to stay involved in our children’s lives.
At this moment we don’t have any one running for PTA office next year. I wonder why? And more importantly how can we solve that problem tonight. Unless we get a board in place the PTA will cease to exist or be put on hold. We have done so much work now isn’t the time to quit, now is the time to say yes to letting this experience of being an officer into your realm of possibility. It is rewarding work. It requires one meeting a month, then 6 association meetings with this body. You get the chance to work closely with Karin our principal. This has been a great relationship. The joy of working with this Board of fine people and learning from one another will be forever etched in my heart. To work with teachers and gain insight to their daily needs for our children is eye opening.
I ask, if you are even entertaining the thought or just felt moved somewhere in your heart to please stand up and take action. Say you want in on this adventure! Say you want to be on the helm of where this ship is headed! Be brave, the more you do the more time you create! Your child will be so PROUD of you. I will always remember the numerous times this year Miranda has compared me to Obama; we are each Presidents! WOW! That slayed me.
There is a great support system for the next PTA officers. We have created a path that needs to be continued. There is so much training available. Our children deserve you to work on their behalf. Please.
To sum-up with a quote of inspiration I thought this was very nice…
Mitsugi Saotome:
If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.
I thank you for the chance you gave me this year. I became more than I have been in a long time. I remembered who I was and what my passions really are. I will start my Watchdog agency soon. (wink-wink) It is important to speak up on behalf of our children…like the song says…and too close. Won’t you all join me.
I believe the children are our are future
Teach them well and let them lead the way
Show them all the beauty they possess inside
Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be
Everybody searching for a hero
People need someone to look up to
I never found anyone to fulfill my needs
A lonely place to be
So I learned to depend on me
Chorus:
I decided long ago, never to walk in anyone's shadows
If I fail, if I succeed
At least I live as I believe
No matter what they take from me
They can't take away my dignity
Because the greatest love of all
Is happening to me
I found the greatest love of all
Inside of me
The greatest love of all
Is easy to achieve
Learning to love yourself
It is the greatest love of all
I believe the children are our future
Teach them well and let them lead the way
Show them all the beauty they possess inside
Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be
Chorus
And if by chance, that special place
That you've been dreaming of
Leads you to a lonely place
Find your strength in love.
Good job on your speech! What a way to express your views and encourage enthusiasm for your school. I'm sure that there are many people who appreciate your efforts. Hugs to you!
ReplyDelete